Monday, January 19, 2009

Five Questions from Lyvvie

Lyvvie @ Lyvvie's Limelight sent me 5 interview questions this morning, so I thought I'd take a stab at them and see what new things we can all learn about Nej. :-)

1. Is there one time in your life you refer back to often and wish you could change. If you could go back and change it, would you?
There are many things I think back to, and wish I could change. But most of the time, I decide those choices actually led to some really good things happening to me, in the long run.
* Should I have gone to college straight out of high school, instead of waiting 2 semesters, and losing my multiple full ride scholarships?
* Should I have lied through my teeth when an ex co-worker gave me her work keys to return t to her boss, thus showing my employer that I knew she was quitting ahead of time? (When I told them the truth, they fired me.)
* Should I have put my fears behind me and completed the hiring process for the FBI?

All of those things I didn't do, led me to things that I've done instead. And...even though I wonder what would have happened if I'd done then....in the long run, I'm glad I didn't.

There ARE a handful of things I'd have done differently. And they are probably very similar to what other people would put on their list.
* I should have hung out more with my great grandmother, my aunt, and my grandfather....all before they died of cancer. They were awesome people that I loved to death, and I can't imagine all of the things they could have taught me.
* I should have run kicking and screaming from the doctor's office before agreeing to this medication! (well, maybe I should have run screaming from the office....running while kicking is never attractive, and usually results in landing on your face on the sidewalk)

2. What was your biggest fashion nightmare where you thought you looked the hottest but on reflection, not so much?
Oh man....that's another questions with a plethora of answers!!! :-)

* I think the 80's, in general, can probably be lumped into one big, horrible, fashion disaster for me. Layered socks, white jackets, jellies, stirrup pants....ugh!
* One of my prom dresses was purple...Barny purple....and I think it was actually supposed to be a bride's maid dress...not something someone should wear to a prom.
* Yellow...I should never, ever be allowed to wear yellow. It's a disaster on me, and if anyone ever sees me wearing yellow, you have my permission to tackle me and drag me into the shadows, before too many more people see it.
* But, the worst of all is what became known as my 'space slut' outfit. (sigh) Silver lamae short sleeved top, black mini (and I mean mini) skirt, knee high fishnet stockings, metallic silver heels. Was it a Judy Jetson Halloween costume? Nope! Was it a rave, club hopping outfit? Nope! It was my "get a load of this, see what you're missing by dumping me, I have no idea how silly I look, and won't realize it until days later" look.

3. Tell of a time you were really disappointed and how you got through it.
* Being dumped after a 4 year long relationship....that's a pretty big disappointment. And, it happened twice in a row for me. Two different guys, 4 years each. Can you imagine the fear I felt when Mot and I hit 4 years? Granted, we were married, just dating...but the lump in my throat fear was still there.

How did I get through it? I cried, I moped, I listened to Bette Midler (yes, I admit it). Then I found things to occupy my time. I cleaned my house (over and over), I worked overtime (lots of overtime). I made new friends, found new hobbies, and stayed up so late there was no possibility of laying in bed "thinking" about the disappointment.

4. What are your addictions; past and present?
* My couch and the TV that sits in front of it. It's true. I have so many hobbies, it's not even funny. But I will ignore them all if I, in a moment of weakness, sit on my couch....and (eek) turn on my TV. It's horrible.

If you're in a bad mood you can find shows that will cheer you up, or make your life look like a sitcom. If you're bored, it passes the time quite nicely. If you can't sleep, there's always something on that will put you out. If you're living paycheck to paycheck (as I have in my life), it's basically free entertainment. It's there for you in rain or shine (but not during those occasional power outages). It doesn't judge, or expect anything from you.

* Oreo cookies. I haven't had an Oreo for a number of years now. (sigh)

* Cary Grant movies. The guy is dreamy, hilarious, and classic. What more can I say?

5. What are your passions; past and present?
This is the most difficult question on the list. My passions?? It's sad really, but most days I don't feel as though I have one. I know people with the most amazing talents and passions....and I feel small and insignificant around them. Not because I can't do what they can....no. It's more because I wish I felt that drive...that passion for something as strongly as they do. Writing books, cooking, dance......if there is a hobby, an activity that can be done...there's a person out there with the passion to do it.

I'm still looking for mine. (If you see it, tell it to come visit me, please!) I'm a Jill of all trades, master of none. I've had a wide array of different careers (ie: jobs or things I do for a paycheck)....and I collect hobbies like a Philatelic collects stamps.

Maybe that's it...my passion is to experience as much as I can. My passion is take life by the horns, and step outside that comfort zone. My passion is do to things I never thought I would be able to do, and live to write about them.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm still shy, introverted and a big fat scaredy cat....so you won't find me jumping out of planes, riding bulls, or cliff diving. But I DO want to hike the Appalachian trail. I want to bike the GAP - C&O trail. I want to ride in a helicopter. I want to race (not drive) race a race car.

Lookout world! If I ever win the lottery, you won't know what hit you! I'm going to do it all, see it all, and still have time to sit in the mountains and watch the hummingbirds fly around my head.


Well, there you go, a little of Nej in a nutshell.

Thank goodness Lyvvie didn't ask if I was a "nose-picking, masturbating Phyllis Diller fan" as she threatened. I don't think I'm ready to come out of the closet on that one just yet. :-) :-) :-)

3 comments:

Lyvvie said...

Cary Grant! OH MY - He's the hotness. They don't make them like him any more. Closest would be George Clooney and even he is too brotherly.

I'm the same as you - I have lots of likes and things I want to do but passion for things is very limited. I like to think I have a few but on the whole I'm always looking the BBT. Nothing wrong with it in my book.

Thanks for answering!!

Brook said...

Nej, I would so hike the AT with you-also a dream of mine(Have you read "A Walk in the Woods" by Bill Bryson?). And Cary Grant stole a little bit of my heart when he played the doctor that fell in love with his patient who was pregnant-I was a single mom for several years-and married her before telling her about the pregnancy. But Burt Lancaster-now he was just hot in the B&W's!

Nej said...

Funny you should ask...I just ordered that book yesterday!!!! A friend of mine has a son that did a book report about it for school...and she had to call and tell me about it. I can't wait to get it, sounds interesting and funny!!!

Father Goose is my favorite. He's pushed into being a lookout for the military, on an island....and happens upon a large group of young girls and their teacher...who were abandoned.

Arsenic and Old Lace, of course...a classic!!!!! (I think I own all of his movies on VHS, but am trying to slowly replace them with DVD. By the time I have them all, they'll switch to some new fangled form of media, and I'll have to start all over.)

:-) :-)

P.S. Welcome to the blog!