Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Curses Depo and the person that invented it!!!

This afternoon I was looking through my "this day in history" website, as I do here and there when I remember.

I'm scrolling down the list of events, and come across one that makes me want to throw my stapler at the fluorescent lights buzzing above my head. (Or something equally as noisy and messy!)

1992 - Depo Provera, a contraceptive, was approved by the Food and Drug Administration.

Ugh, I curse this drug and the person that invented it!!!!!!

For those of you that don't know what it is.....it's a birth control shot, given every 3 months. It also basically eliminates your monthly horrors. (if you know what I mean)

This shot is the reason I'm so miserable in life!!!!! I was a size 6 before getting my first shot. In under 9 months, I was a size 18 (but only wore a 16, because I refused to buy yet another larger sized pair of jeans). Yes, from a 6 to an 18 in 9 months. There are pregnant women that don't gain that much weight!!!!

I had (have) stretch marks from it....and the lowest self-esteem ever recorded in history because of it.

The first shot and 3 month time frame went well. A little weight gain, but my doctor told me some people will gain 5 pounds, some even as much as 10 pounds when starting the shot. So, I gained some, and I started eating less and working out more to help with it. (it did no good, but I kept thinking how much worse it would have been if I hadn't)

I got my second shot three months later...but that was when I noticed that the weight just kept coming, no matter what I did. There were also other side effects showing up....but I'll keep this post non-graphic. :-)

I talked to my doctor at my next appointment (now 6 months after the first shot). She couldn't believe the difference in me, in just a few short months.

Suffice it to say, I didn't get a third shot. She was pretty concerned with what was happening, and wanted to see if things improved after stopping. We made an appointment for 3 months later, to check back and see if things had improved.

I continued to gain weight, by leaps and bounds, those 3 months, but it did start to slow down that final month (9 months after having the first shot).

So, there I was....overly fat, depressed, and still a newlywed. It's a wonder I made it through it alive, really!!!!! My hubby deserves a medal, and a big hug!!!!

I've never gotten heavier than I was at that moment, but that weight stayed on a long time. Heck, allot of it's still there.

So, curses to the doctors that came up with this drug!! You should all hide in you bedrooms and never come out again!!!!!!

3 comments:

Sass said...

I can remember asking for that shot, and my gyne looking at me and saying, "you don't want it. you'll gain ten pounds as soon as they bring the needle in the room."

I still went through one round of it. And for some reason never did the second. Weird.

Ahhh...the things we put our female bodies through.

Anonymous said...

A girlfriend of mine got the shot for 2 years and is now infertile.

Doctors should be ashamed.

Nej said...

Infertility....if only I had gotten something as cool as that, instead of the lousy weight loss!!!!

(Wait! Before you think I'm a harsh, horrible person...here's some background.....Mot and I don't want children, we prefer to spoil the crap out of nieces, nephews and such. We have a hard enough time with our 2 cats and 3 dogs.)

I feel horrible for your friend...that truly stinks. :-(