Thursday, July 9, 2009

Weekend Update #23: Drunken canasta, family visit, and the 4th of July (part two)

(Part one)

It rained a million inches of rain Friday night (that's a rough guess, but probably closer to the truth that anyone cares to admit....1 million inches!!!) and my aunt and uncle, who arrived Friday night and camped at the state park, took on a little water.

Ok, maybe allot of water. :-)

You can see their tent int he background, is actually sitting up off the ground on chairs and such, to help it dry out.

So much water, in fact, that we decided to seize the opportunity to move their campsite to the site next to mom and dad's (it wasn't open the night before).

Did we pack up their gear, and then pull it all back out on the other side of the park?

Nope...we just pulled stakes, and walked it across the campgrounds.

After Mot and I had moved the first tent, we went to watch the second group come in.

The park wasn't full to the gills....but there were plenty of people giving us some strange looks as we walked by. :-)

The day was pretty relaxed, really. It rained and sprinkled off and on. We never did see blue skies.

So, we all puttered around the campsite most of the day. Eating, talking, eating some more, playing some games, eating some more, talking................rinse, repeat.

4th of July, the way it should be. :-)

Mot and Kent talking while Kent put new bullet proof tires on my bike. I can't wait to take it out this weekend, and feel the difference!!!!

The coolest chair ever!!!! We nicknamed it the Venus FlyTrap, because the wind kept switching directions. And when it came from behind the chair, it would actually lower the "wing" down over Kent.

Grandma Margaret brought bubble wands for the kids to play with.

A group of us set up the ladder golf set.

A biologist from DeSoto Bend National Wildlife Refuge (bordering the state park) came around with her stuffed beaver, to tell us about the wildlife talk she was giving at 7:00 pm that night.

While playing cards around the picnic table at about 7:15 pm...I looked at Mot's watch and said "Oh, we're missing the lady talking about her beaver."


(oh whoops, that didn't sound so good)

(people started snickering)

Mot: "It was cool that she let us pet it."

(more snickering)

Mot hanging out at the campsite.....not sure where the rest of us were. :-)

Dutch Oven Peach Cobler. Yummmm!!!!! :-)

Mot went home that evening, he had to work on Sunday....but I stayed the night in mom and dad's camper.

Sunday morning, my aunt, uncle, cousin and I went to Blair to see Gram. We went to breakfast together....and waited FOREVER for our food. It was good food, it was big food, but we were there for at least an hour before the meal was served.

After dropping Gram back at her place, the 4 of us went back to the park to get out on the water. We were actually honored with blue skies on Sunday!!!

Kent, Linda and Amanda on DeSoto lake.

Kent taking a spin in Mot's boat.

Pulling the boats out of the water and heading back to the campgrounds.

We all showered and then took a nap once we got back. We were out on the water for a while, and it was hotter than h*ll.

I've got another strange sunburn to go with my last one. There's always one little place where the sunblock doesn't make it. :-)

Mom and I napped in their camper. Actually, we ended up watching Marley and Me, and didn't get much napping in. :-)

Dad's such a ham...I love it!!!!

The movie was close to done when we turned it off and joined everyone else who had gotten up from their naps.

Dad and I took a break from the action to drive the Ranger around the campgrounds and check the place out. My parents are camp hosts during most of the summer, so we checked toilet paper levels in the bathroom, and inspected the deep ruts a Class A camper had left in the newly redone campground. With all the rain they got Thursday night, the occupants woke up and found they had sunk to the axles in the mud. Ugh!!!

We made dinner that night and then decided to head into town to get some ice cream.

I headed for home when we got back. Had to get up and go to work the next morning. :-)


the iNDefatigable mjenks said...

Dutch Oven Peach Cobbler? Blech. Doesn't it have the lingering taste of fart?

My son wants me to get a tent so we can camp out in the backyard...

Nej said...

@ mjenks, For some strange reason, when I typed that, I thought to myself "Hmmmmm, there is surely a more appetizing name for it."

And then "I wonder who will say something?"

You win!!!! :-) :-) :-)

Badass Geek said...

Really? A stuffed beaver?

Couldn't they have found an animal to stuff without the sexual connotations?

Nej said...

@ Badass, This weekend is bats. :-)

Ookami Snow said...

Bullet proof bike tires? Where were you camping?

Nej said...

@ Ookami: OK, bullet proof might have been a bit of an exaggeration. (hehe)

Brook said... the Deep South that game is called simply "Hog Balls". Yeah. Peach cobbler is always good-and dutch oven just would make it better. Says me.

Nej said...

@ Brook, hog balls? I love it! :-) :-)