Thursday, August 14, 2008

And the home of the brave.

Kind of a strange title to this post...but it was a strange thing that happened...so it fits. I had a nightmare last night. It was a short one...but boy was it a doosey!

In my dream, things were just like they were in real life. It was late at night and dark out. I was laying in bed alone, Tom was at work. I had just fallen asleep when something wakes me up. I open my eyes, and there's a person standing there staring at me. It's so dark in that room, I can't make out a face.....but I can tell it's a person. Right there!!!! Maybe 2-3 feet from my bed. Argh!!! It was a child....maybe 10 ish...and it was a boy. And that boy was evil. I couldn't make out any facial features, he was just a silhouette in the dark...but I could still tell he was completely evil.

Then, my dream self totally surprises me....I lunge at the boy. I actually throw myself out of bed to attack him. I wasn't going to give him the chance to attack me first. As I throw myself at him, I'm yelling...screaming...whatever you want to call it. It was almost a battle cry....ahhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!

I woke up before I made contact. In truth, my screaming woke me up...I was actually screaming out loud. The cat was looking at me like I was crazy!!!!!

Now, when Tom isn't home, this is usually when I go and get my teddy bear. The little guy keeps the dreams away. If I go right back to bed, I have a habit of just returning to the dream/nightmare....and I didn't want to revisit that one!!!!!! But, since teddy was in the same direction as the little boy...I just laid there. I never sleep on that side, but I did the whole night. I was NOT turning to look that direction...not for all the tea in China!!!!!

So....checklist....I ate nothing before bed...I was watching women's beach volleyball before bed - no horror movies...I took no drugs and drank zero alcohol that night. I really, honestly, truly believe that after the frustrating day I had yesterday.....that little boy represented the things causing my frustration. Torn calf muscles, shin splints, work.....and I, in my dream, tackled those problems head on. There was NO way I was going to let him win.

As corny as it sounds, I'm guessing I'm probably pretty close to the truth. Because, I'm NEVER brave in my dreams. In my nightmares, I'm a wuss....and I run.

No comments: