Wednesday, January 19, 2011

New Orleans in October - part 4

10/24/10

We got up the next morning (not so early) and headed to the cemetery not too far from the hotel.











This was one of the places I was really looking forward to walking around. We didn't stay as long as we would have liked, but the weather wasn't going to cooperate with us, and I didn't want to get soaked while carrying my DLSR.






The alleged grave of Marie Laveau, the "Voodoo Queen."






















Not sure who this one belonged to.

From the cemetery, we walked to the House of Blues for a Sunday gospel brunch.













I didn't get any pictures inside. There were signs everywhere prohibiting photography.

Although a somewhat annoying British dude sat across the table from us, and took pictures and video throughout the entire show. :-)



The clouds opened up on us for a while.....and made the city extremely muggy when it stopped. Up until then we had been really lucky with the weather, so I'm not complaining!!!!



We didn't have any more plans for the day, so did some more walking. Checking out shops, stopping to watch the street performers....





And Steve and I stopped to get our cards read.


What? We were in New Orleans. It's a requirement!!!! :-)

From there we went to Pat O'Briens for the authentic New Orleans Hurricane.


It went straight to Mot's head!! :-)





We walked over to Jackson square (the park itself had been closed the day before for a wedding, but the gates were open this afternoon).





From there we walked BACK to Pat O'Briens for more hurricanes.

By then, they had started going to my head as well.

Yummo!!!!!!


I totally fell in love with the corn stalk fence.

What? I'm an Iowa girl!! :-)

We stopped at a couple favorite hangouts of the boys...and from the balcony of Good Friends, I saw this......


Oh yeah.....we had to go in. The food was really good!!!

Then we.....(all together now)...wandered around the Quarter some more. :-)


Steve wanted to go into a Christmas store to look around.

And......about two hours later, we stopped here for lunch.



Yes, we had just eaten....for the 14th time that day.....but we had Groupons, and wanted to check the place out.

The four of us almost wish we hadn't. The service was horrible, the food was horrible.....but they had a really cool chandelier hanging inside!

Yep, the cool chandelier and Steve's french fries were the highlights of the place.

And then the waiter messed up our bill....couldn't figure out how to cancel it. Had to call his boss...couldn't find his boss....ran down to the bar around the corner that his boss owned. Still couldn't find him.....eventually did something that may or may not have fixed his error....and we left. :-)

From there we headed to the hotel.

We got up the next morning, and got a cab to the airport.

6 comments:

The Steve and Danny show said...

I should have bought those glasses!

Nej said...

I'm not sure why we didn't make you! :-)

Unknown said...

Hi there! I noticed your mention of New Orleans on Bev's blog and I had to come check you out because I am so in love with NOLA. Once I read your posts I realized that my husband and some friends were there the weekend before you. Isn't that strange and wonderful? Fritzel's is my absolute favorite place in the world. I saw you had hurricanes at Pat O'Brien's but I'm convinced that they are so much better at Fritzel's. They aren't as sweet. I love Richard Scott the pianist. He is a genius. And we ate at The Coffee Pot and got the same terrible service.

I hope I haven't freaked you out with my out of nowhere rambling. I'm not a freaky stalker or spammer, I promise. I was just so excited to read about your trip. I feel like we've been friends for years. :)

Nej said...

@ Kari - we, too, were debating the difference of Hurricanes...Fritzels vs Pat O'Briens. Eventually we decided Pat's won...but merely for price and quantity served. If you go by taste, it was kinda like the debate between Ford and Chevy. Boxers or briefs. Fat Elvis or Skinny Elvis. (people really argue about that?) Anyway.... :-)

The Coffee Pot...ugh....the food was either burned or cold...in my case - both at the same time. Double ugh! :-)

We stumbled into Fritzels on accident, and nearly had to be drug out. The vibe and energy of the place was magnificent and crazy addicting. Even the cross dressing drama queen who kept trying to steal the show (and was eventually asked to knock it off or leave) was entertaining. :-)

Richard Scott was, in one word, amazing!!!!!

Jan @ Struck by Serendipity said...

I would love to visit that cemetery! Great pics!

Nej said...

@ Jan - the cemetery was amazing. I could have walked around it all day!!!