Monday, May 3, 2010

Weekend Update: Which way to the Ark?

I grew up camping at Wilson Island State Park. Some summers I spent more time there, than at home. My parents are still that way. We love it there!

In April, the Missouri river went over it's banks, and the park flooded. It's happened before, and I'm sure it will happen again....but it's never a happy thing.

The Friends of Wilson Island have been doing what they can to help park staff get the place open for business.

I was able to go out last Saturday and help.


There was still quite a bit of standing water....but nothing compared to what it was. The place was completely UNDER water when the river was at it's highest.






Mom and I took the ranger out for a drive along the river. We spent the first part of the morning rescuing the new seedling trees they planted last year. (this pic isn't one of the new trees, as if you couldn't tell - those were completely covered my muck, mud, and gunk - muddy job)


Then we moved back into the park to start picking up debris.


After a while, I moved over to dad's team to work on the bigger debris.







One of the fatalities of the flood were the outhouses.



Don't worry though, they have new ones coming. :-)





Dad let me drive the truck for a while. Do you see the boggy mess where we were dumping the downed trees and limbs? (look closely behind the trailer in that last pic)

Oh yeah, I got the truck stuck.

Yessiirreee I did. :-) :-)

2 comments:

Goody Two Shoes said...

I can happily report that the Park open this weekend. Lots of VERY happy, including yours truly, finally got to camp, mushroom hunt, fish, hike, etc.

The Friends of Wilson Island were happy for your help Jen. The only thing we have left to do is fill the very large ruts left by the heavy equipment (and the girls who got trucks stuck).

Anyway, thanks to all who help and to everyone else, come on out to the Island for a visit. We're always happy to see you.

Badass Geek said...

Good work!

And even the best of us get our trucks stuck from time to time.