Thursday, December 10, 2009

Post-It Note Therapy: Back Breaking Work

If you haven't seen any of my other post-it note therapy posts....feel free to take a look here, here, here, here, or here. :-)
____________________________________________________________

Omaha recently received an early Christmas gift from Mother Nature herself.

Ms. Nature needs to hire a personal shopper.

Actually....I love the white stuff....I really do. I love driving in it, I love being outside, and I love sitting inside watching it fall.

And I normally enjoy scooping my driveway.

So, let's say I get home from work early Tuesday afternoon, because the city is shutting down - it's blizzard time!!!

I'd spent that morning driving to work on tires that were nothing more that rubberized skis....convinced the tire shop across the street to put new ones on....drove home busting through snow drifts....walked in the door, and changed into my most flattering scooping outfit.

And, by flattering I mean "hide the children, avert your eyes, oh my god the horror" of an outfit. Brown insulated overalls, camo waterproof rubber boots, fleece camo coat, grey hat (with balls)...

You get the idea....fashion icon I was not!!!

I spend 90 minutes scooping 6 inches of snow off the driveway, all the while thinking to myself "did my driveway grow since I left this morning? have we always had enough room to land small aircraft? I don't care how far I've gotten, 90 minutes is all I'm doing!" and lastly "that hawk has been circling overhead for 20 minutes now, should I be worried?"

I made it 3/4 of the way...and figured the end of the drive could either be scooped later....or we could just drive over it....I was honestly beyond caring!!

I put the shovel away, patted myself on the back for a job well done, and hid inside the rest of the evening watching mindless TV and eating some reheated tamales I'd brought back with me from my last trip to Mexico.
______________________________________________________________

When I wake up the next morning, I can hear the wind howling.

Hmmmm....oh no. Say it ain't so.

I got out of bed (ignoring the screams of agony from my lower back).

Pulling back the living room curtains, I'm humming "Let it snow, let it snow, let it......

&#$%(*#^%&^)(#*%)#*$!!!!!!

Where did the driveway go???"

The 6 inches I removed the evening before was replaced by 12 more...in the form of 3 and 4 foot drifts.

(sigh)

The coat and overalls I'd worn the day before were a might bit chilly. Maybe just piling them on the floor inside the back door wasn't such a good idea?? :-)

From the front porch, I find the snow is drifted halfway up the outside of the door. You can cross that emergency exit off the list!!

As the garage door opens a few minutes later, snow comes cascading in. Guess I'm not going out that way either.

I grab the shovel and head for the sliding glass door. The drift against the door is 2 foot tall.

(sigh)

After placing towels on the floor, I take a deep breath and open the door.

Have you ever used a shovel to scoop snow from your dining room floor??

I have.

After an hour of scooping a path across the deck, around the dog kennel, and a small "landing zone" for the Jeep in the driveway, Mot makes it home....and I pass off our ONE and only shovel.

Two "sessions" later, the driveway is finally done.

________________________________________________________________

My back was a little stiff yesterday.....but today....I feel as though I've aged by about 40 years. I can only imagine what Mot feels like today.


7 comments:

MJenks said...

I miss the snow.

I miss the curling up inside while the blanket is pulled over the world outside.

I even kind of miss the cold, as it's a good excuse to get snugglie.

The shoveling? I don't miss.

Unknown said...

Um, I have had some snow spill in form our slider! I want to know more about the balls on your hat...he he
LOVE the picture...except the middle seems to be missing? Is that the broken back???

Slyde said...

im jealous! we have yet to have a snow here in NY... im hoping for a white chrismas..

Nej said...

@ mjenks - I almost want a snugglie, just because the lady on the box looks so happy whilst talking on the phone! :-)

@ Moonspun - Welcome!!!!!!! The hat with balls. I guess I've never taken a picture of it. Knowing my love of taking pictures of everything, I can hardly believe there isn't one of the hat!!! :-) It's a knitted grey wool hat....with multicolored bits of yarn and multicolored knitted balls hanging off the top. It's horribly ugly, yet the coolest thing ever!!!!

@ Slyde - we got the 6 inches or so on October 10th, and this is the first we've had since then. A true blizzard! Haven't had one of those in years!!! From what the weather looks like, it's not supposed to get very warm in the next couple of weeks, so it might stick around for the holidays. Would be AWESOME if it did!!! :-)

Nej said...

@ Moonspun (part 2) - Yep, that's the broken back. :-)

Jon said...

I used to waste hours shoveling snow, until I discovered a little thing called gasoline. Now, when my neighbors see my driveway engulfed in flames, they know I mean business.

Nej said...

@ Jon, funny you mention the gasoline tactic. We were, I kid you not, looking up flame throwers online yesterday at work. Everyone was quite sick of shoveling! :-)