Saturday, October 10, 2009

Taming of the Shoes: Retirment

No, no, I haven't retired.....but my running shoes have.

They still look so nice, so white, so clean, so full of life. But in the world of running shoes they are old, ancient, all washed up.

They are like a greyhound dog, who has been retired to being a house pet. No more racing, but plenty of life left to live.

I was wearing them when I bought the replacements. Was that wrong of me? Somehow insensitive to their feelings? :-)



About a week after I retired them, I wore them while using the weed-eater. I turned them green - bright "the grass is still wet, but I'm not waiting for it to dry" green!!!

Luckily, most of it came out in the wash. :-)

3 comments:

Brook said...

You reminded me that it is time to go spend an astonishing amount of moolah on some new tennies myself. I do so try to forget. Not that it is a huge issue this week but soon. I also happen to like the green that comes from lawn mowing-while it's fresh. When it dries it doesn't seem so bright and cheerful. I think shoes are kinda like the toys in "The Velveteen Rabbit", the ones you really love do acquire some kind of life and personality. =)

Lyvvie said...

Mizuno aren't as spongy as most and are good for exercising the foot muscles, but they make my arches ache and I wuss out and go back to my saucony. But I should go back and toughen up my feet because my feet are total wusspies. All the shoes you put your feet in, you must have iron toes.

Nej said...

@ Brook - yeah, they develop a personality, and you develop an attachment to them. I still wear them all the time now, just not running.

@ Lyvvie - tried Saucony - hurt my feet horribly. Mizuno and my feet love each other. :-)

Iron toes? Maybe? I took dance for 18 years. If spending that many hours a week in high heeled tap shoes don't toughen your feet up, I don't know what would. :-)