Tuesday, September 30, 2008

A new hobby? (Like we need another one!)

OK, I've found another hobby that sounds like fun. And this one can be done year round...can't have too many of those!!!

Drum roll please...........Disc Golf!!!!!!!!

{crickets chirping}

Don't everyone speak up at once now!!!

Come on, it sounds like fun!!! Throwing Frisbees, of which I'm as good at as swinging an actual golf club. Which means = I stink at it. But that's beside the point.....it soooo sounds like fun! I can practice this sport in my own yard...with targets placed around and about...for target practice.

I will say, I'm a little better at Frisbee tossing than I used to be. We started throwing one, instead of a ball, for Rowan (our diabetic Scottish Terrier)...because it's larger, and she could see it. (she's almost 100% blind now).

And, before I go any further, I know - someone is probably going to get after me for calling the discs Frisbees. I understand there is a difference, please no hate mail. :-)

I played a little Ultimate Frisbee in high school. It seems a sport that is primarily played by college kids, usually good looking dudes without shirts. Now, I'm not going to complain about good looking dudes going shirtless and playing Ultimate. No sir! But, as I am not in college, not a male (good looking or otherwise), and AM NOT going around in public without a shirt....I think I'll leave that sport alone.

This probably sounds like it's going against my "women can do anything they want" rants, but it's really not. I'm not saying that I can'
t play Ultimate...I'm just saying that my Frisbee throwing skills are horrible. Throwing them, for my own score in disc golf is one thing...but throwing them for (and to) other people who would be on my team - that's just cruel and unusual punishment for them.

It's also another sport/hobby that has it's own bag associated with the gear. Mot and I are bag people. There's a bag for every sport, every hobby, every occasion. His middle brother has moc
ked us horribly for this many times over.....and even bought us a bag for Christmas one year. We have golf bags, a badminton bag, a racquetball ball bag, a softball bag, shooting and hunting bags galore, backpacking bags.....the list goes on and on.

I'm reading a forum about playing disc golf in the winter. I need more winter sports!!! There isn't enough snow here to justify buying cross country skis or snow shoes, but I can play disc golf whether there's snow on the ground or not.

On this same forum, people are posting the ways that they keep track of their discs in the snow. There are some that affix wrapping paper ribbon onto them....one gent
leman puts an old cassette tape on it, and pulls out some of the ribbon....one person even goes as far as putting a flare onto his disc. Like a flare....a "Coast Guard, please come save me" flare!! I can think of two problems with hif idea...#1 - doesn't that affect the flight of the disc #2 - those discs are plastic and those flares are hot...do you see where I'm going with this???

From what I can tell...the city park that's near us had a course. They also had a lake....a rather large one at that. I say had because they drained it for restructuring, and also to re-grow fish habitat. It's supposed to be filled back up by now...but it isn't...yet.

(hint, hint...Omaha Park and Rec dept!!!)

W
hen they closed the park for draining and remodeling, they also took the disc golf course down for work as well. They are saying that it's to be available and open, as soon as the park gates are opened.

What can be more fun....walking around in the fresh air.....talking and having fun with your friends and love
d ones....while throwing plastic discs at metal baskets?!?!?!?!?!


Photo found online www.coolchaser.com


Photo found online www.ci.bremerton.wa.us

2 comments:

Izzy said...

Disc golf is pretty popular where I live, though can't say I've ever played! Does sound fun though.

Anonymous said...

First - I think golf is the most boring game in the world. Dunno anything about disc golf... I'd almost rather play bocci ball or something like that... I love your weirdness! LOL!!