Monday, August 11, 2008

Adventure Boot Camp - Day 6,7

08/11/08

Shin splints anyone? I don't know if that's what this horrible pain in my OTHER leg is....and I don't know if that's actually how you spell it. But either way, it's unpleasant, to say the least. I've been compensating for my calf muscle injured leg, with my other leg....and now it's not happy. Life is so unfair some days. :-) :-) I have PT this evening, so I'll ask Doc about it then. For now, I can walk on both legs, normally....so I'm happy. YES - you heard me!! I woke up this morning, and my calf muscle leg seems to be working quite well. No limping like a goober, no cringing or whimpering like a baby. YEAH!!!!! :-) :-)

The workout today was torture, as usual. I woke up pretty darned easily though. Sleeping in this weekend helped a ton to refuel and recharge for the week. We'll see how long that lasts. (hehe) Squats, abs, lunges, run, burpies (jump up like a volleyball block, then crouch down with your hands shoulder width in front of you and jump your legs back into a plank position, then back up and repeat...why they are called burpies, I'll never know!)...run some more, abs, squats......and so on and so forth.

I tried drinking a small amount of cranberry juice this morning before working out. Well......wasn't a good idea. I spent half the morning trying not to revisit the cranberry juice a second time. Ewww :-)

Last night, I went to bed at 9:00, since I have to get up at 4:30. I just laid there, wide awake for a while.....finally had just fallen asleep, and in comes Tom into the bedroom. Poor guy, I can hear he's trying to be quiet...but you just can't be quiet on 80+ year old wood floors. Oh well.

This morning there's a note on the kitchen counter when I get home from working out....

I love you & I am proud of you for staying with the boot camp. With love, yours, Mot.


7:20 Yep, shin splints. I just have to keep telling myself that this is all good for me. What is it they say...what doesn't kill you, only makes you stronger?? Ha!!! I'm going to be pretty darn strong after all of this. I would love to go through a day of boot camp, only experiencing the pain of working out. You know, sore muscle, aches and pains. NOT torn calf muscles and shin splints. :-) I just got home from the physical therapist. He started with the normal torture techniques saved for terrorists. Have I mentioned how pointy this dude's fingers are. I mean, does he sharpen them before bed each night???? After making me want to cry and limp from the building...it was time to run. As I mentioned after my appointment last week...he decided he wanted to see me run. There must be something going on to make my legs revolt as strongly as they do each week. WRONG!!! In fact, he said besides needing to lean forward just a little, and take a little longer stride (the shorter stride was because I was on the treadmill...running on those things scares me to death!)....anyway, besides leaning forward a little more - he said the mechanics of my run are really, really good. Crazy, I wasn't sure what to say when he told me that. So...now what?? Well, they gave me some more exercises to do to strengthen my hips and glutes....but, we're all pretty sure that the things happening are due to the fact that I'm overweight. And my bones and muscles are trying to support more weight then they should be. If my body is doing this, with my weight.....what do the bodies of people who are 300, 400 or even 500 pounds react?? I'm doing damage to myself, during my efforts to HELP my body. Alanis Morrisette's (sp) song is playing in my head right now"......a little bit ironic." :-)


08/12/08
I was up at 2:00...then 3:10, then 4:15. Was able to get up pretty easily though. I used a new yoga DVD before bed last night. It's called Candlelight Yoga. Basically, not yoga for working out...it's yoga for de-stressing. It really worked. It was a good stretch, and I went to bed very, very, very relaxed.

As I'm driving to work this morning, I notice I have to use my windshield wipers every so often. Once I arrive to the park, it's official, we're going to get wet today. After 5 minutes of standing and stretching before we start, we're all soaked. I love the rain!!!! Only it was a little chilly this morning, to be wet, in only t-shirts and shorts. :-)

Today was a lighter day than usual. Either because the stuff we were doing targets the stronger parts of my body.....or, because I have to walk half of the running sections due to my newly injured leg. Just when I get the other one back in working order, wouldn't you know it.

I'm going to Peak Performance, the local shoe shop, today after work. I think I need new shoes. The last time (and only other time) I got shin splints was in high school. Trying to run with crappy tennis shoes. I've had these shoes for 2 years or so now....they look brand new....but I've used the heck out of them. I was trying to pay attention to myself while running last night and this morning....I think my shoes are the main contributor to my shin splints. Yes, my torn calf muscles on the other leg might not be helping, but I think shoes are the main culprit.

When I got home today, and out of the shower, I could hear Tom in the basement. When I went down to get dressed for work...he was using the weight bench we bought months ago. It's the first time either of us have used it...aren't we funny??? Anyway, it seems my new motivation to work out, have prompted some motivation of his own. Trying to get yourself back in shape and healthy...it might be a pain in the butt (or leg)...but it's so worth it. Just knowing that I'm trying to do it, makes me feel better about myself!!!!!!!!

I had a dream last night.....I was shaving my legs. In my dream, I had shaved them the day before...but my leg hair was still worse than Chewbauca (sp) from Star Wars. I know having dreams about going to work naked are normal...but dreams that I 1 day's hair growth on my legs in inches long??? That's just not normal!!!!

No comments: