Thursday, July 31, 2008

Interesting words....

This morning, a coworker of mine (Jean) and I started talking about new words we'd learned yesterday. Who knows how it came up in conversation? I try to not ponder on such things too long......

First word: Sesquipedalian. The definition is what rocks!!! 1) Given to or characterized by the use of long words 2) Long and ponderous; having many syllables 3) A long word.

The definition of this word, basically being the word itself. Now, that's pretty cool.

Second word: Mondegreen. The mishearing or misinterpretation of a phrase, typically a standardized phrase such as a line in a poem or a lyric in a song.

So, you know the CCR or John Fogerty song Bad Moon Rising? "....there's a bad moon on the rise." Sometimes it is sung as "...there's a bathroom on the right" That's a mondegreen. :-)

Third word: Penultimate. Next to the last.

I learned this one last night. One of the groups performing at the fair before us, announced a song as their penultimate song. Good word!!!!!! (and, you should note...that penultimate is the penultimate word in my list of words we learned yesterday...hehehehe)

And, last but not least.....Minutia. I searched for it today, to see how to spell it. I spelled it Menusha in my search....and this is what urbandictionary.com told me what the definition to Menusha is...."An idiot trying to spell Minutia." I sh*t you not, that's what it said!!!! :-)

Anyway, the definition of Minutia is, a minor detail. So...if someone says your head is full of minutia....it's not a reason to show them your right hook. It just means that you have a lot of weirdo information in your head. You remember the strangest little things. In my opinion (having my own mind of minutia), this is a good thing!!!! :-)

No comments: