Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Bob Kerrey Pedestrian Bridge

Saturday afternoon, after trying to hike in the hills and finding they were nothing but muck and mush, we tried to find something else to occupy our time...something that was active and didn't involve sitting in front of a computer or TV.

On our way back into Nebraska (the hiking in Iowa is much better), we saw the new pedestrian bridge to the North. Well heck, we hadn't walked across it yet...so why not?!?!?

Downtown Omaha is off to the left in this pic. I didn't notice, until I was looking at the picture this morning, that the bridge appears to be the bridge to nowhere in this photo. The Omaha metro area population is 1 million plus....there's a city at the end of it...I swear!! :-)



We parked on the Iowa side. The bridge is pretty nice actually, very simple in it's design. Smooth, clean lines.

I couldn't believe the number of people using it. Bikes, walking, running, with pets, with strollers.

This photo is looking up at one of the two 200 foot tall towers. I'm sure there's a more proper bridge type name for them...but I'm not an engineer, architect or design student...so for now, I'll call them towers. :-)



This is the view in the opposite direction, walking back to our car. Because it's winter, the river level is pretty low.

No comments: